I've never felt so strongly like I was being dragged kicking and screaming. He was lecturing on what professors do, and different classes of professors. I kept thinking, over and over, "I don't want to do this." I don't want to do a lot of research, teach classes, or publish things that most people are not going to read.
I went into this major keeping in mind that I didn't want to be a professor, but is my major, Family History, really for me? I wonder if switching majors was unwise. My reason for getting out of journalism was to dedicate more of my time to my family, when I get there. I don't want to spend my holidays and nights at the office; I want to be home. But who says that I will have to work when I'm raising young children? And I dearly love journalism. I love advocating for people, and informing the populace. I love bearing news.
I'm afraid that people wouldn't read something I've published as a historian. I'm put off by the elitist environment, and feeling the need to prove myself.
I don't know what I want to do. I'm sure I'll develop a love for family history work, and would do it just because it's a religious obligation and not for my job; but I'm not there yet, and I wonder if I'd love journalism as a profession more. I've met more down-to-earth journalists than professors, and to me the people element is very important.
I will probably have to work; I know that. I just don't know what I want to do, or if the waste of time in switching back would be better in the long run.
My History 400 class, however, is better. I'm more focused on the research portion, and communicating with other researchers, and procedures. I enjoy meticulous procedures when they are necessary. I feel less pressure, too, because she knows that one person can't get everything in 50 hours of research, and I feel that I have the space to be human, just so long as I try. I imagine it can be very exciting and rewarding, although not as present as journalism.
I feel more comfortable in the Family History major when I'm in 400 than 200. Still, I definitely do NOT want to be a professor; it's not my environment, nor does it fit my personality. I don't like being elitist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment