Monday, October 5, 2009

Climate Change and Respect for the Earth

Ever notice how no two years are the same, weather-wise? This year, we've had the wettest summer of recorded history. The first snow also hit at the end of September up in Brighton, whereas last year it waited at least another month. I think we're due for another ice age. It's been about ten thousand years since the last one, and they come at intervals of roughly ten thousand years.
If asked whether I believe in global warming or, as it is now called, climate change, I usually answer no. I became very disenchanted with the whole idea after Al Gore. And try as I might, it is just difficult for me not to be skeptical of anyone who flies the colors of climate change. Such is the human mind.
I guess Al Gore got a lot of us with that. He professed that the world was ending, showed what I later found to be skewed evidence, and promoted all these energy-saving schemes. A lot of it I chalk up to exploitation. It doesn't help that further research found that he has a large "carbon footprint."
Understand, I have always felt that taking care of my environment was a valuable thing to do. I grew up aspiring to be a Native American from the so-called glory days of the nations. My favorite book was probably Indian in the Cupboard, and me and my best friend pretended to be Indians all the time. I also wanted to be Pocahontas sometimes, although I wanted to be an Indian Brave more. I was oblivious to the fact that in order to be a Brave one had to be a man. But I digress. One of the key factors in being an Indian, as they were then called, was respect and gratitude to the land that gave them life. I embraced that concept fully.
No matter what we do, the climate is always going to change in cycles, with or without humans' pollution and mistreatment. Still, it's negligent of people to strip the land, to fill the water and the air and the soil with foreign things. I am not a save-the-whales person, but I wish there were a better, efficient way of moving in the water, without filling the oceans with sound pollution, or filling the air with smog from our cars. We don't know how much of an effect we have, or how little. In fact, if I were to judge from how things have been in the past, there is always going to be evidence that points in both directions. What should we do, then?
Live moderately. No matter what people say, we should take just what we need, and give back to the environment that supports us.

No comments:

Post a Comment