Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Good Sense--Hopefully It's Common

Lately, I've noticed that people in the United States treat everything like a spectator sport. I had the opportunity to attend the BYU-Florida football game. From my seat I could hear the angry, frustrated responses to fumbles, scores for the other team, etc. Now we've all been frustrated at a game, or sat by extremely displeased football fans who shout out what the players on the field should have done, or didn't do right. My high school history teacher called it armchair quarterbacking. I don't recall being so engulfed by fans hating on their own team. Except in politics.
Instances like Joe Wilson shouting "you lie" in President Obama's speech, or the outrage at the president's school broadcast telling kids to stay in school, have been displays of disproportionate hatred. There was a time when the president was supported, regardless of whether the people voted for him or for his opponent.
The above are recent events, but past presidents have had similar reactions. President George W. Bush, for example, was publicly hated. I cannot tell you how many conversations I hear that criticize President Bush personally, unrelated to decisions he made in office -- I mean below-the-belt insults that went after his accent, or his grammar (I even had a friend curse him repeatedly during the early election process before his first term in office). I cannot tell you how disgusting it is to hear people still grumbling about how Senator Al Gore should have won, eight, even nine years after the election. Being that bitter about the way things happened is ridiculous; if you want the system to be changed, then do it through the system; being bitter isn't going to change policy.
The first president I remember was hated on as well. And I think the trend of unreasonable attacks really took off during his presidency. President Bill Clinton was attacked vehemently, so much so that he got impeached. Of course having an affair is not right. Lying under oath about it was doubly not right. The outcry from these things was merited, to some extent. But in reviewing the situation, and age-old question comes to mind: do the means justify the ends? Several presidents have had affairs, and have not been impeached for it. It goes under the category of 'personal life,' and not under 'oath of office.' Of course there's the argument of broken trust. If he lied under oath about an affair, would he lie under oath about other things? Possibly. But it's arguable that the people who most vehemently propagated the cause of impeachment just used the affair as an excuse to kick the president out of office. And that's where I come to distrust this method of hatred.
Have you ever heard the idea that anger blocks out reasoned thought? That's what I think the effect is of this spreading bitterness. People aren't able to see past the apparent faults to what may be the motive behind the message. Everyone has a reason to speak their mind, from the proverbial little kid who wants a cookie and tells his or her mommy that cookies are healthy, to the official who wants to win an election, or the writer who wants to sway opinion. Perhaps it would be easier to see motives and act according to one's best knowledge if anger and bitterness is rethought and held back for the sake of reasoning.
And this is where my argument gets tricky. I don't believe it's good to listen to people like Glenn Beck, who yell at the top of their lungs and shut out fair debate. If an argument is so high-stakes that he, or anyone else, can't let it be said, it implies that he can't capably rebut it on his own radio talk show, where his opinion can be said unfettered. A radio talk show, in my opinion, should be about talking things out, exploring the details and letting ideas and opinions form and change to reflect the most reasonable conclusion. I don't trust people that won't let the facts stand on their own. I don't think anyone else should, either.

3 comments:

  1. While anger makes people irrational, there is no reason not to be angry right now. We’ve reached a point as a nation where we just cannot function any more if we remain just one massive group. The government is trying to take people’s freedoms away (even more than they already have) and it’s disgusting. I’m not a Beck fan, but I support him because I oppose the “Fairness Doctrine” that the democrats want to enact so badly. I feel that people like Beck, Coulter, and Limbaugh are on my team because NOBODY in the government is.

    "Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top." -Edward Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like the Fairness Doctrine, either. In my mind, it's a maneuver meant to jam radio time. (And I'm not a Democrat, just for your information.) My aim with this article was to bring to view this ever-growing theme of hatred. In no way do I think that we should be dispassionate about what we believe; if we believe it so deeply, there has to be passion. But I believe there is a balance of reason and passion, and too much passion blocks out reason. Lack of reason is unproductive. If people have a goal, it seems obvious to me that they would want to use every asset they have to accomplish that goal. Reasoning is one of those assets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think you were a Democrat, LOL. I'm just a Liberatarian on federal issues, so I basicly hate the feds right now (and to be fair, I have for a long time).

    ReplyDelete